- This event has passed.
National Public Lands Day 2017
September 30, 2017 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pmFree
Celebrate National Public Lands Day for 2017 with Sky Island Alliance! We will be working in Bear Canyon in the Santa Catalina Mountains – come join us! See the trip description below:
TRIP SCHEDULE: Bear Canyon
8:00 am: Plan to meet us at the South end of the Safeway parking lot on the NE corner of Sabino Canyon and Tanque Verde at 8 am.We will shuttle/carpool to the actual work site in Bear Canyon from our meeting spot, as we will be driving into an area of the National Forest with restricted access and limited parking.
3:00 pm: We’ll wrap up our work and return to the meeting spot by 3pm.
- This project is rated as moderately strenuous; we will be doing a variety of different restoration practices, which could include removing invasive species, planting natives, collecting seed, etc…. The work will include bending and walking on uneven surfaces, and potentially walking through water.
WHAT TO BRING
- CLOSED-TOE SHOES/BOOTS ARE REQUIRED FOR THIS PROJECT. Aside from that, anything you would bring on a long day hike would be recommended, such as plenty of water, lunch/snacks, sun protection (sunscreen, long pants and long-sleeved shirts), etc.
PROVIDED BY SIA
- Tools, work gloves, supplemental drinking water and first aid equipment. Tools involved – shovels, picks, and metal pry bars will be our main weapons against these invasive plants. Chemical herbicides will NOT be used.
- Families are welcome!
- Sorry, dogs are not allowed on this project.
- There is no fee involved for this project (although we will put any donations to good use!)
Questions? Contact Carianne: email@example.com