Fertile Islands at Rancho Los Fresnos Mexico
December 12 @ 9:00 am - December 14 @ 2:00 pm
Sky Island Alliance has been helping Naturalia Sonora in implementing restoration strategies on the TNC owned working ranch Rancho Los Fresnos near Cananea, Sonora, Mexico. This ranch is a demonstration site used to model feasible projects that other private landowners in the area can implement to increase watershed health along the San Pedro River in Mexico. We’ve partnered on projects like road erosion control, eradicating invasive species and habitat restoration. This time we will be working on planting islands of native species for pollinators! This will require digging, bending, cutting, watering, and getting dirty.
WHAT TO EXPECT:
Naturalia Sonora has donated the use of the Rancho Los Fresnos guesthouse, which has 12 beds distributed among 4 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms, with showers and a full kitchen (with basic implements). You may choose to sleep on a bed (bring your own comfy bedding) or camp under the stars in your tent. Beds will be first-come/first serve, unless you let us know that you need to have priority, and there are no single-occupancy rooms available.
- Bring your own meals for the duration of the trip – a minimum of 2 breakfasts, 2 lunches, and 2 dinners, with snacks.
- Potable water may be available onsite, but please bring enough for at least 1 day
- Communal refrigerator space available.
- Be prepared to unplug – there is no cellphone or internet service at Los Fresnos.
- Bring work clothes and appropriate close-toed shoes that you don’t mind getting dirty.
- Bring layers of clothing in preparation for lovely day weather and colder temperatures at night.
Rancho Los Fresnos is located in the upper San Pedro watershed and is located approximately 35km North of Cananea, Sonora, Mexico. It takes about 3.5 hours to drive from Tucson, AZ.
Meet at the SIA office at 406 S 4th Ave to caravan/carpool to Rancho Los Fresnos 9:00AM on Wednesday December 12th. We have limited room for passengers in vehicles – please let us know ahead of time if you need a ride so we can ensure space for everyone (or if you’d like to drive your personal high clearance vehicle and have space for a passenger).
We will head east on 1-10 toward Benson before heading on AZ-80E towards Bisbee, then we’ll take the AZ-92 W to Naco and we will cross the border there. Once in Mexico we will follow the S Naco Hwy to merge with Highway 2 and take that all the way to Cananea. Once in Cananea we will meet up with Naturalia staff who will guide us to Rancho Los Fresnos.
- Wednesday 9:00AM : Meet with SIA staff at our office to carpool to Rancho Los Fresnos.
- Thursday: Work day
- Friday 8:00 AM: We will head back to Tucson
If you have further questions, please email Emma Rocio Fajardo at: firstname.lastname@example.org