- This event has passed.
Beat Back Buffelgrass Month: It begins!
January 27, 2018 @ 9:00 am - 4:00 pmFree
Join us in Bear Canyon as we kick off not a day, not a week, but a whole month of beating back buffelgrass and fountain grass!
We have been working to eradicate fountain grass and buffelgrass from this beautiful area for several years now; steadily working our way up the canyon. We have been doing a great job, but the canyon is long, and we have a lot of ground to cover in our fight against these invasive grasses.
We will be meeting at the South end of the Safeway parking lot on the NE corner of Tanque Verde and Sabino Canyon Rds. Access to our work area on the National Forest is restricted, so we will need to carpool into the canyon in as few vehicles as possible.
- Plan to meet us at the designated meeting spot (NE corner of Sabino Canyon Rd and Tanque Verde Rd, at the south end of the Safeway parking lot) at 9 am.
- We’ll return to the meeting spot by 4pm.
- This project is rated as moderately strenuous; we will be digging out invasive grasses. The work will include bending and walking on uneven surfaces, and potentially walking through water.
WHAT TO BRING
- CLOSED-TOE SHOES/BOOTS ARE REQUIRED FOR THIS PROJECT. Pants and long-sleeved shirts are HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. Aside from that, anything you would bring on a long day hike would be recommended, such as plenty of water, lunch/snacks, sun protection (sunscreen, wide-brimmed hat), etc.
PROVIDED BY SIA
- Tools, work gloves, supplemental drinking water and first aid equipment. Tools involved – picks, and metal pry bars will be our main weapons against these invasive plants. Chemical herbicides will NOT be used.
- This trip will be led by Bryon Lichtenhan.
- Sorry, dogs are not allowed on this project.
- There is no fee involved for this project (although we will put any donations to good use!)
Questions? Contact Bryon: email@example.com or 520-624-7080 ext. 27