IT IS TIME TO SPEAK UP FOR THE SANTA RITAS!
SAY NO to the Rosemont Mine!
The Coronado National Forest has released the Draft Environmental Impact Statement (DEIS) for the proposed Rosemont Mine in the Santa Rita Mountains, and is accepting public comments on the proposal until January 31, 2012.
If allowed to proceed, the Rosemont Mine will devastate a treasured Sky Island mountain range. The mine will trash thousands of acres of wildlife habitat, obliterate over 1300 acres of riparian areas including the headwaters of Davidson Canyon, and will likely draw down and pollute the Santa Cruz aquifer, reducing the region's water quality and availability. It will also increase regional air pollution, destroy numerous cultural resources, and ruin the abundant recreation opportunities now found in this area, including birdwatching, hiking, camping, hunting, horseback riding, and mountain biking. And that's not all.
To read SIA's comments on the DEIS, click here.
To read a summary of the many significant impacts this proposed mine will have on land, water, wildlife, cultural resources, air quality, and more, click here.
To view and download the entire Draft EIS, visit the Coronado National Forest website.
SPEAK OUT TODAY AGAINST THIS DESTRUCTIVE PROPOSAL! There are many ways you can make your voice heard:
Submit Comments on or before January 31, 2012:
• Telephone: Brief oral comments can be made by calling toll-free (888) 654-6646.
• Online: Comments may be submitted electronically on the project website at this link.
• Mail: Written comments may be mailed to: Rosemont Comments, P.O. Box 4207, Logan, UT 84323.
• Fax: Written comments may also be submitted by facsimile to (435) 750-8799; the subject line should include the words "Rosemont Copper Project DEIS"
• Email: to CoronadoNF@RosemontEIS.us; the subject line should include the words "Rosemont Copper Project DEIS;" email attachments should be in Word (.docx), rich-text format (.rtf), or portable document format (.pdf).
For questions or special needs regarding the public meetings or the comment period call (520) 388-8300 voice or (520) 388-8304 TTY.
Additional information about the Rosemont Copper Project DEIS is available online at www.RosemontEIS.us
For more information, please contact Conservation Policy Director Jenny Neeley at firstname.lastname@example.org or 520-624-7080 x13.
Now is the time to make your voice heard and help protect the Santa Ritas!